How to Take Care of Silver Plated Jewellery
Today I will tell you how to take care of your silver plated jewellery be it silver plated wire, rings, bracelets or necklaces. Since this form of jewelry is quite inexpensive it is nice to be able to own them !
But having said that let me tell you that it has few drawback also which include that you need to take its extra care to preserve its look. Since brass and copper are solid metals they take care of themselves. Anything can not remove the top layer of the brass or copper and it will still stay the same as it is solid.
But it does not hold true with silver plating . So what to do?
Keep in mind that it is plated, not.0925. That means under the plate, there is usually a base metal like copper.
To take care of your Silver plated jewellery, just follow some simple guidelines:
1. Avoid getting it wet. Even if it happens to get wet, pat it dry with a soft cloth and try to blow off any moisture with a hair blower.
2. Try to keep your jewelry in a plastic bag like a Ziploc. This will avoid tarnishing the silver by moving the air.
3. Use a good metal polish something called MAAS- an all metal polish. It is available in either cream, cream paste or liquid but all brands are good.
4. Whenever you find the silver darkening , take some polish on your hands, squeeze some of the quantity in your fingers and rub it over the beads of the jewelry or what ever portion of the jewelry you need to sparkle and brighten . Very gently, move the soft toothbrush over the effected area is already wet with hot water and detergent liquid. Brushing very gently and the hot water and dish soap will help in removing the tarnish of your silver jewelry. In the end rinse very well.
Dry with an old towel or you can use paper towels to polish it dry. Hair dryer can be used to remove any trapped water or moisture.
- Any oxidation or the black stuff is actually the removal of the silver. So it is advisable to keep your silver plated jewelry in a Ziplock to slow down the oxidation process. But the method which I have explained just now to clean your silver plated jewelry, is perhaps the best, and the least damaging and effective way to bring back the lustre and shine.
So go ahead follow these simple steps, and to your amazement you will find that you have actually extended the life of your jewellery !